Friday, March 2, 2012

Assholes in my midst *sigh

I don’t trust you simply because you exist. Nor do I have a high opinion of you if I don’t even know you. For some reason, there are people who cannot understand this. Upon meeting a person the only things that I know, usually, are their race, gender, and other superficial qualities about them. Things that tend not to matter. These are never enough to warrant my trust or esteem. Let me get to know you, not merely by what you say, but also by how you behave. And don’t rush me to form an opinion because if I am rushed, more than likely my opinion will be that you are an asshole and I don’t like assholes. Simple, right? I’d like to think so, but someone I know can’t seem to get this. He is getting on every last one of my nerves trying to force me to like someone that I don’t, which is making me despise the both of them. And the reason I don’t like this person could very well be because I haven’t had a chance to get to know them. My default setting is not to like a person and then ask questions later. On the contrary, I don’t like you until I’ve been given a reason to like you, based on your character. And until I am given a reason to, you mean absolutely nothing to me. You simply exist. I’ve made note of that, now allow me to form an opinion of your existence, mkay? Sheesh.

2 comments:

trE said...

I can totally agree with this: " On the contrary, I don’t like you until I’ve been given a reason to like you, based on your character." But, some folks are always in a rush to know what they shouldn't even be concerned with in the beginning anyway.

Me said...

I have decided that I do not like him. A group of us went to lunch about a month ago and he mentioned that in his hometown down south, they have no problem profiling sketchy-looking individuals and handling them. So, naturally, I asked what constituted as "sketchy-looking" and he said "you know...dudes in hoodies and that sort of gear, etc." I wasn't surprised, just took note.
and now here we are mourning the loss of Trayvon Martin and angry over the injustice of it all.