Wednesday, October 20, 2010

I'm a heavy sleeper.

I realized the other night while my son was away at a friends' house that I sleep like a fat man, a grizzly bear hibernating, a little kid after a drive-in movie wedged like a sack of lead in a bucket seat. If someone were to break in while I was asleep, I'd be a goner before I knew what was happening. Even while cautiously trying to sleep with one eye open and a weapon by my side (because I'm always nervous when I'm home alone at night) , I couldn't wake myself to perceived "danger". I heard bumps and creaks in the night, probably a squirrel in the tree outside my window or someone fooling around outside (I hope not :( ), and I vaguely remember lifting my head up off the pillow to slur out "I see you!", and then promptly falling back to sleep, lol. :( Hell. I distinctly remember being afraid that night, too, but the only thing I could do about it was sleep. I was out cold until my alarm clock went off the following morning and I tried to remember if I had dreamed about danger or if I'd actually been in some and tried to do something about it. Damn.

3 comments:

rashad said...

I hate people like you..if someon blinks wrong at 2am, I wake up and stay up until its time for me to get up at 6.

Me said...

i have days where I can't get to sleep (Sunday nights) or when I have a bad dream and wake up at some obscene hour and can't go back to sleep. But once I'm in dreamland, 9 times out of 10 I'm LOCKED in, and that worries me. During the Northridge earthquake, my bookcase AND my fish tank both crashed to the floor and I didn't know until my mom came to get me and the carpet was wet :( That's not good.

trE said...

I'm an in-between sleeper, if this makes any sense. I sleep hard until there's noise or disturbances, then I'm up instantly to check on it... I mean, with my brother here, it makes it easier for me to just sleep through any and almost anything, but I find myself still getting up at the sound of Jernee rustling about, heavy winds blowing, or some thumping music outside...