Friday, February 4, 2011

Stuck in 1987

A couple of days ago another of my old grade school buddies found me through Facebook. Except this time our friendship goes all the way back to junior high school. She looks practically the same based on her profile picture, just obviously older. I sometimes wonder how much older I look to those who knew me way back when, but I digress. Anyway, I figured in all this time we’d have a lot to catch up on and I was excited to hear how her life had evolved over the years. I know that mine has changed a ton since junior high school, a good 20+ years ago. So when she sent me her phone number and asked me to call her I was shocked to find out that not much has changed about her since 1987. Even her jokes are the same as they were in 7th and 8th grade! She has no children, no husband, no prospects, and she still lives with her mother. But what was even more surprising was that her older brother, who has to be at least 39 years old by now, still lives at home, too. That really shouldn’t have been a shocker, given his strange personality back in junior high and high school, but we’d like to hope that people grow and change for the better, right? Only her older sister, who is about 38, moved out and had children and, based on that information, I’m guessing she's lead a relatively normal life.

The phone call was pretty disappointing and about 15 minutes into our conversation, I wasn’t glad I’d called her. I won’t say I regretted it; just that it was a let down. And she asked that I call her back the following day, which was yesterday, but I’m still torn about this re-connection. I don’t want to go back to 1987, lol, and listening to a grown woman say stuff like “tally wacker” and giving her nephew’s “knuckle sandwiches.” I wanted to scream “you’re knocking on 40, woman! Who says that??”

I guess to be fair I should talk to her a little more and see if maybe there is something about her that’s aged and not just her appearance. But I can’t say that I’m eager to know more. What will we have in common besides our childhood? What could we potentially build on if our life experiences are so drastically different? I don’t know what it’s like to still have the mind frame that I had in 8th grade, still doing the same things and living the same life that I did in the 80s and 90s, except with minor alterations (i.e., a job). And even back in 10th grade my other friends and I thought that she was a late bloomer. I know it’s kind of hard not to be corny at our age (according to my teenage son, lol) but come ON! This is just sad and pathetic.

Okay, perhaps I’m freaking out for nothing and I need to be more open-minded. It was just one conversation we had and she still seems nice enough to be friends with. I’m not nor have I ever been a mean girl. I’ll give her a call later tonight before I make my final decision, but dios mio this has been strange so far.

No comments: