Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Wine Mixer

Wine tasting was really nice. It was probably the best twelve bucks I've ever spent and not because of the wine, it sucked, but because of the experience. J's Lounge in downtown L.A. is a pretty decent spot for a night out, and the California Wine Tasting people really know how to spoil their guests; they kept the h'ordeuvres coming. I looked around at some peoples plates and it was like they were sitting down to dinner, lol. And this was before the waiters began coming around with trays full of goodies. I don't understand how some people can pile those little appetizer plates so high with snack food and not feel shame. How much crudite can one person stand? I think one guy was trying to make a Scooby Doo-like sandwich with his cheese and salami.



We both chose the white wine as our complimentary glass and sat outside underneath a gazebo with ruby red drapes and a fire pit, the downtown L.A. skyline loomed above us. After my glass of wine, the bartender mixed me a "French Kiss" that he swore I'd love. It's a martini with vanilla and cranberry in it. It smelled better than it tasted, which made it the worse twelve bucks I've ever spent. My girlfriend and I were looking pretty dynamite last night; she had her hair done, nails done, everything did (c) some rap song. I wore an old black lace dress that I had picked up from a sample sale many years ago that still looks good and not dated, some heels that I bought about 6 years ago and never wore, and I washed and styled my own hair, nails were bare. Which reminds me, I seriously need to get back on those sample sale mailing lists. Anyway, since I'd taken a two hour nap yesterday afternoon after work, I was energized and ready to take on the night. She wasn't. As we sat under the gazebo talking and drinking she began to get too relaxed and threatened to fall asleep. So we decided to go upstairs and dance a little. The crowd was well mixed, different ages and races. The dj was okay. He played a lot of pop radio stuff and a bit too much Michael Jackson (two songs), but otherwise it was music I could dance to, so I did. As soon as the first MJ song came on a few dorks on the dancefloor started dancing like Mike. It was so funny to watch. Then some guy asked my friend to dance and while she was working hard out on the floor, she naturally began to sweat and her hair began to lose it's luster. She didn't look a mess but that was enough to deflate her self-esteem and she was done with the night. The next thing I knew she was asking me when I wanted to leave and it was barely even midnight. I didn't complain; I'd had fun up until then, which was my goal. But I would have liked to stay a little bit longer and get a better feel for the place and the people there last night. I saw a handful of cuties that I wanted to ogle a bit and the bar area seemed to be popping. It was okay, though. I still had energy to spare this morning so I got up and went for a much needed run/walk around my neighborhood. Now I'm feeling like Rocky, except with the sniffles. I'm getting over a cold.

No comments: