Monday, May 23, 2011

Purple Pain

I was strong armed into going to see Prince in concert and I woke up this morning angry about it. Now, the last time I spoke to my friend about this I told her that I wasn't all that interested in going to see him. Gas + $25 ticket + TicketMaster fees and surcharges + seats in the rickety old Forum + parking costs, etc = I’ll pass, thank you. But I guess she figured I was just sitting on the fence and needed pushing over. So she calls me up in the middle of what she KNEW was an extremely busy work day for me, and says “Quick! TicketMaster is only giving me 1 minute and 40 seconds to decide to buy these tickets or not. Can you go?”

“Huh?!” I say, bewildered, trying to remember if I have anything scheduled for the Friday in question as well as having no other details about this show (start time, etc.). Meanwhile, she’s steady pressuring me, telling me how many seconds remained on the clock like a bomb was ticking, until I just said, exasperated, “Sure. Get them.” Ugh. No planning, no coordinating schedules, no payment arrangements made – just the assumption that I would drive us both there and have to pay her back 25 of the dollars that I was trying to save. I just spent a grand on Costa Rica flights, woman! Ugh. So this morning I woke up irate as hell and made a mental note to email her the plan the way EYE see it: she’s driving to my house or she’s meeting me there, no if, and’s or buts. And I’m paying her back when I can, not immediately. She never asked if I had money, if I was struggling, broke or nothing. And she knows I just came back from Vegas, just bought tickets to the reggae fest for my cousin’s birthday, and got Hall & Oates tickets for the 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular. I’m annoyed with her lack of forethought and if I weren’t a nice person, I’d let her suffer and lose money on that ticket. I honestly couldn’t give a rat’s ass about seeing Prince, and I actually told her this. I’d rather see Adele or Esperanza Spalding. See, her problem is that she’s an undercover racist and she’s afraid to go to the Forum with anyone white. And she drives this really old Maverick that she swears is a classic that everyone wants to steal. Despite me living in one of the safest neighborhoods in the city, on a short block with many geriatric Neighborhood Watch neighbors constantly watching my house, she doesn’t want to park her car in my driveway. Well, tough shit. I don’t want to drive from Pasadena to the valley or even Glendale, and then to Inglewood during rush hour on a Friday.

Update: I just got an email from her saying that I’m “off the hook,” she’ll find someone else. Lol. I only feel slightly bad about this. I hope she does find someone else and doesn't lose money.

No comments: