Wednesday, September 21, 2011

C'est si bon, part deux

I don’t know a lick of French but I love singing “C’est si bon” by Eartha Kitt.  Well, I take that back, I do know a few words/phrases in French but not enough to understand everything that I’m saying whenever I sing that song.  The other day I was singing it, ad libs and all, in the car with my mom and son.  My mom joined in because she can appreciate the fun of singing in French, whether you know what you’re saying or not.  She used to love singing Lady Marmalade back in the day until she found out that what she was saying was kind of perverted, lol (“do you want to go to bed with me tonight?”).  But my teenage son was annoyed.  He thought we sounded like fools (we probably did) and could not appreciate the joy of the song or us butchering its lyrics. Tough luck for him, being a surly, kill-joy teenager, because we carried on with glee and enthusiasm despite his sighs and pleas of “Oh my GAWD! Stop!”  Sometimes it sucks being a teenager.  Anyway,  unlike my mom singing LaBelle’s perverted hit 70s tune, I know what C’est si bon means.  I downloaded the lyrics in English a while back after repeatedly playing it on my iPod, so I have at least a clue, lol.  It really is so good :)

here's the version my mom and I sang/sing ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2BTcSD-YYc&feature=related

here's her singing it live. Man, she was gorgeous!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5WVkl_f7_E

and here are the lyrics in English:

It's so good,
Just wandering around,
Arm in arm, arm in arm,
And Singing songs.
It's so good,
To whisper sweet words - ,
Little nothings,
But little nothing that can be
said again and again.
Seeing our love-struck expression
The passers-by in the street envy us.
It's so good,
To see shining in her eyes
A marvelous promise
That sends shivers up and down my spine.
They're so good
These little thrills
That are worth more than a million
It's so very, very good.
It's Good - Yes, It's good
The passers-by in the street -
Arm in arm, arm in arm -
Singing songs -
What a marvelous promise

Uummm - It's good.
I'm looking for a millionaire
With big Cadillac cars
Mink coats - jewels
As big as your fist - you know?

It's good
This little feeling -

Perhaps someone with a little yacht, no?
Aahhh it's good -
it's good - so good-
You know I'm waiting for
someone who can give me
plenty of loot.
Tonight? - Tomorrow?- Next Week?
Dosen't matter when.
Uummm - It's so good - so good
It will be very crazy, no?
It's very good!

1 comment:

trE said...

You know, I had no clue she sang this song... :( Perhaps I need my hand popped for that one, but I've learned something new today & I thank you for this, Val. Now that I've listened to both versions, I'm going to them again, hence, I love it. :)