Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Ball

Tomorrow my son is going to his first formal event, a ball, and he doesn't want to wear a jacket. Argh! His gripe is the shoulder pads. He says his shoulders are broad enough already, smh. Teenagers, I swear they'll drive you nuts if you let them. For homecoming he told me he just wants to wear a shirt, tie and vest with his slacks and I'm doing everything I can to ensure that he doesn't look ridiculous and that I like the pictures because thats oh so important to mother's - the pictures. We can look proudly at the pictures, at the extension of ourselves all decked out and on his way to a ball/homecoming/prom. Its a milestone, it's our only reward until they leave the nest and make something of themselves. The other night his girlfriend was apparently tripping on Facebook and he was distraught over it. I hated the idea of my child having his heart broken but I have to admit, I was more worried about him not having a date to all of these high school events. He's going to have his heart broken, regardless. That's par for the course. Thats life and I won't keep him from it. He's had girlfriends in the past so he knows what it's like to break up. But he's never been to a ball or prom and he HAS to have a date for these events, lol. for my pictures! :) I haven't told him this, of course. He thinks it's weird that I'm insisting that he get dressed here and not at his friends' house like he wants to, because I want to be a part of this, I want to take pictures. I'm just being a mom. I deserve my pictures, lol.

2 comments:

trE said...

Oh goodness! You have driven me crazy! My mother took pictures of everything; while I dressed, when I was dressed, when my boyfriend (at that time) arrived, when we were pulling off... She was everywhere! She had two of her friends over there as well & they took pictures too. I was so embarrassed! I can't believe it's Prom time for your son already.... Wow... I know you'll be posting some pictures if he lets you take them :)

Me said...

Hahaha! I'm not that extreme. I gave him a little GQ photo shoot that he seemed to enjoy, (to his bewilderment, lol) and then I dropped him and his buddy off at his buddy's house. He ended up liking his suit more than he'd originally thought and, yes, I will be posting pictures from "the shoot" :) I'm truly a proud mama.