Friday, October 7, 2011

RIP Ginger :(

My trusty car of 11 years, Ginger, has seen her last hoorah. Last weekend her transmission started slipping and by Monday the “check engine” light was on and the slipping was getting progressively worse. To fix her I’d have to shell out roughly 3k. She’s also due for another timing belt soon, which is about 1.5k. So, since she’s clearly circling the drain I decided not to invest any more money into her. I’m getting a new car.
I found a sweet deal on a Volkswagen for a 36 month lease with maintenance and 24-hour road side assistance included, so I’m taking it. Today I will test drive the base model and then I’ll test out the “razzle dazzle” model to see which is the better fit for me and my needs. Everyone is telling me to just get the base model, which is $40 cheaper than the razzle dazzle model, and be done with it since I’m “not a racecar driver.” But I’m very apprehensive about that because I am a race car driver. They just haven’t accepted it yet. Ginger, God bless her, had 130hp and one time I had to drive her up a long hill in Altadena to pick up my boy, and she wheezed and huffed the whole way. It was frustrating and embarrassing and I vowed to never buy another un-souped up ride again. And this base model, less-expensive-by-$40 VW is only 115hp. That's less than what old "Gingy" had.  However, the razzle dazzle version has 170hp :) so I am seriously leaning towards getting the razzle dazzle one for that reason alone. I couldn’t care less about the other so-called luxury features of the car, especially the “leatherette” seating. I’d much rather have cloth covered seats. Anyway, since I got approved for both cars I’m going down there after work to test-drive them both and see which one I like best, just to be fair. And as for Ginger…well, I am torn about her fate. My boy’s dad says he’ll fix the transmission and glam it up so The Boy can drive it next year. My co-worker says I should just sell the parts and be done with it. Dissect my boo!? I’d feel like I’m putting down a pet or a trusty comrade, but it does seem like the best and most practical bet. My boy has his nose turned up and is being a typical, unrealistic teenager thinking he’s going to get a brand new muscle car right off the lot. HAAA HAAAA!  He hasn’t realized yet that he’s broke and unemployed. So if he doesn’t come around soon and warm up to the idea of driving ol' Ginger, I’ll have to make up my mind about what to do with her. I can’t just let her sit in my driveway indefinitely, slowly going to waste.  She has brand new brakes and tires.

No comments: