Thursday, April 5, 2012

More talk about my home

I’ve figured out a way to rid my property of squirrels and other rodents: strongly scented flowers and oils.  Or so says multiple sites on the internet.  Daffodils, Wood Hyacinth, Allium flowers, and other scents like peppermint oil, pepper, garlic, and cayenne are said to keep them at bay.  So I’m going to plant some and see how it works.  All three flower species are lovely so if they work as promised it’ll be a win-win for me.  And, as suggested online, I’m going to soak a cloth in peppermint oil and put it inside a coffee can, then place it inside my garage to keep mice and rats from seeking shelter there.  My neighbor found a dead possum under his shed L  Gross.  I’m so glad I wasn’t home when he made that discovery.  Anyway, the planting instructions say I was supposed to plant these flowers at the end of fall so that they would bloom in spring but I’m hoping I’m not way too late, since it’s just barely spring.  As long as it’s not summer, I think I’ll be okay.  If nothing else it will be an experiment in learning to cultivate a green thumb.  Speaking of which, the trees I planted are doing okay, it seems *knock on wood.  And truth be told, I kind of enjoyed digging in the dirt and planting them.  I love decorating, even the outdoors.

2 comments:

trE said...

I hope your plan works! I'd hate to be the one trying to get rid of rodents all by my lonesome...

Me said...

I'm glad theyre at least confined to the detached garage area. My ex finally came and picked up his stuff so now I have room to move in there and can organize my things better and in a way that minimizes clutter and coziness for critters. heres hoping that Peppermint oil and ammonia does the trick.