Saturday, April 7, 2012

my kid is kind of awesome sometimes

My natural inclination is to worry about him but I really dont need to. And at times we'll have a talk that pretty much tells me to "relax, mom. I've got this." Last night I was fretting about this, that, and the other so I called him into my room and asked him what his plans were for prom. I wasnt worried about prom but that was my intro to bigger things, you know. The next thing I knew we were talking about the mission we built together for his 5th grade project, his elementary school principle coming to school one Halloween dressed as a giant pumpkin, how much fun he had at homecoming this year and the Royal Ball ("I was on fire," he said giving me a glimpse of his dance moves that night), how much fun we'd had in Hawaii together a couple of years ago, then Costa Rica last year, and how crazy we both looked on our passport pictures, lol, then, how excited we both were to get home after being away for an entire week in a Spanish speaking country (we dropped our luggage and kissed the walls, lol). What I thought would be a rushed 15 minute conversation ended up being a two hour conversation about his future plans, my future plans, his favorite cartoon, his government class, his closest friends (he has 6 bff's. Although he'd never call them bff's, lol), how ugly one of his bff's looked last year when he wore a pistacio colored suit to prom because that was the color his date had chosen for her prom. We also made tentative plans to take a trip to DC and go museum hopping. It'd be great if we could get there for the Fourth of July but I'm sure flights and hotels would be super expensive during that time. But we'll see. Anyway, he did more than put my worries away, he inspired me to live a little better. I've been somewhat paralyzed with fear, a bit complacent, and kind of weak. He asked me if I'd planned to work for my boss forever.
Earlier that day I'd come home to find that one of my favorite, vintage throw pillows was ruined and, of course, he had no clue what had happened. I instantly became frustrated and furious so I yelled and fussed and then slammed my bedroom door. About 20 minutes later I found him and one of his bff's (Kai) in the dining room trying to pin the pillow case back together. And then that night during our heart to heart he told me that he'd been in his bedroom playing video games with Kai all afternoon and that his ex girlfriend, who is now just his friend, and their mutual girl friend, were in the living room the whole time watching movies on the couch (this was confirmed when I came home from work at the same time the two girls had arrived). But he assured me that he'd get to the bottom of the mystery of my ruined, one of a kind pillow. So I smiled.
Eff that pillow. My kid is awesome sauce :)

No comments: