Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Okay, so in addition to introducing myself to the world and joys of yoga, I have decided to learn how to garden. In part because my bad cholesterol is astronomical for my age and my doctor says that I’ll either have to go on medication or drastically change my lifestyle, which may or may not lower it since it’s mostly due to heredity, and also because meat has been making me feel lousy lately. Every time I eat a piece of chicken that isn’t free-range, I get sick. And every time I eat any other type of meat (turkey, cow) it weighs on me and feels like it takes an eternity to digest. Oh, and then I’m reading about pink slime and ammonia in food and all manner of disgusting crap, and my grocer seems to want to feed me just any old thing. I bought shellfish from Ralphs a little while ago and it was rotten, reeking of ammonia. If I had eaten it I would have been violently ill. And I bought sour grapes from Ralphs just recently. I won’t even get into the horrors I’ve discovered while trying to eat boxed or canned food. So yes, I’m fed up and going to test out my green thumb to see if I can grow some of my own food. It just makes sense. Of course, I’m going to start small and learn as I go, and as my budget will allow me to. But in the long run I do believe that I will be saving lots of money and helping to feed not only myself but my friends and family too, for practically nothing. So far, the only investment I can see once I am up and running is the cost of watering and the time it takes to tend to my veggies and keep pests away. I’m a bit excited about it and hopeful that by this time next year I will be healthier, happier, and in better physical shape.

2 comments:

trE said...

Good luck with this, lady! I will definitely get into some gardening whenever I purchase a home. I think it'll be truly relaxing too :)

Me said...

thanks. im learning a lot. my rhumb isnt bright green yet but have been able to get things to grow. whether they mature or not remains to be seen.