Thursday, July 18, 2013

I never did have my yard sale. I cleaned the house and amassed a bunch of things that I had fully intended to sell, stored everything neatly in a corner of my living room, and then found out that the city has preposterous rules for yard sales and threw my hands up. According to this dear old city of mine, you cannot have an actual yard sale. No, you cannot place stuff in your actual yard to be sold. It has to be placed either in the back of the house or in the garage. Well, my garage is out of the question, and who is going to stop to peruse my backyard? Most people do drive-by’s and, if they see something they like, they stop. I can’t imagine that many folks will be stopping to check out what’s in my backyard. Then, you have to pay $20 for a yard sale permit and you can only put up signs on your own private property. No billing. So I got discouraged, packed all of the stuff I had amassed into two tubs, and stored it. Ugh. I can’t bring myself to donate it just yet. I’m still slightly hopeful that I’ll be having a bonafide yard sale. And I should be able to without all of these silly rules and regulations. This sucks.

2 comments:

trE said...

I can't even imagine seeing anyone here paying to have a yard sale, then not being able to have it on the front yard either? LOL. A lot of people would be out of business; There's tons of yard sales almost every Saturday here. :(

Me said...

You know, I've seen lots of people having them on their front yards and posting signs around town, so i can only assume that they end up getting fined. I don't know. However, where I used to live when I first moved here 15 years agao, an old lady seemed to have a sale in her yard at least every two months. She's since passed away but I'm guessing she was never fined. Otherwise, she might now have had them so frequently. I may give it a shot. I'm still deciding.