Sunday, April 10, 2011

Back to Earth

I'm grounded. It's been one week since my urban Cinderella date and the clouds have cleared. His accent is beginning to get on my nerves and I'm beginning to forget why I liked him. In this case, absence does not make the heart grow fonder. I think what won me over was the chivalry. I hadn't been treated with so much care in such a while, and the feeling was certainly missed. I wanted to hold on to that feeling for as long as I could, and I did. He was very much a gentleman and these days, they're hard to come by, especially in Los Angeles. I went to a club on Friday night with a friend (I'm officially off clubs, by the way) and towards the end of the night I found an empty corner to sit down and rest my aching feet. While sitting there a young couple came and sat across from me. Their body language was so completely off. She was catering to him and he was acting as though she didn't matter, texting on his phone while she patiently waited for his next move. Then he suddenly got up without saying a word and walked away and she followed behind him like a puppy. No hand holding, no affection, no respect. This is what it's come to in L.A. I had to go all the way to Las Vegas to find out that purple elephants do exist. That night in the club I watched another couple talking and after about 15 minutes of what seemed like a getting to know each other conversation, the guy disappeared and left the girl with his friend to be babysat. I never did see him return to her. Eventually, she left.
I've no idea what, if anything, will come of me and Island boy. At this point, I'm chalking it up as a really great experience and the realization that what I want can be obtained. For now, I think I've come to the end of my wave.
All week I've been listening to this song and smiling. It's perfect for how I'm feeling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whatever becomes of you and Island Boy, hopefully, there'll be a reminder of what was to keep you aware for future interactions with anyone else. I know the feeling you're feeling all too well. Good luck, lady...