Sunday, April 24, 2011

He is not the exception

My brother is kind of great. Today he confirmed what I already knew but couldn't admit to myself. He told me that island boy was full of shit. The last three conversations with island boy lasted less than ten minutes, all three ended with him stating that he'd call me back, and then he waited more than a couple of days to do just that. This last time, he waited a week. And then Friday night he called and I pressed "reject" on my cell phone to stop the ringing. So he promptly called right back and I just let it ring until it rolled to voicemail. He didnt leave a message. The following morning he called again at 8am. This time I answered. He said that he had called me twice the night before ("yes, I noticed") and if I hadn't picked up the next morning he would have figured I was done with him. Now I'm wishing I hadn't picked up. However, then I wouldn't have known for certain that he wasn't shit because he gave me no explanation for his being MIA for a week and then he ended the call after less than ten minutes stating, you guessed it, that he'd call me back. Now I have to wait until he does call back for me to tell him not to bother calling ever again. I have it all mapped out in my head, what I'm going to say.
So today I spoke to my big bro and he confirmed my suspicions, even admitting to doing the same thing that island boy is doing, to girls that he wanted to string along. And instantly I felt ten times lighter. It was the confirmation I had needed. Thankfully, I'm getting better at elimination. In this case, I was holding on to three great conversations/times we'd had and ignoring all the red flags since then. For one, I'm pretty sure he has a steady girlfriend. And even if he doesnt the rest of the flags are pretty bad and can stand on their own. Sometimes it takes experiencing what we don't want in order to know for sure that we don't want it, lol. In dealing with island boy I've realized a few more things about myself. I need more attention than I thought I did. I don't have to receive a phone call everyday, but every three days at the latest until we've built a foundation, or when you say you'll call, you'd damn sure better. I need someone who values their word, who is closer to me than a four hour drive or 45 minute flight away, whose every word I can understand and, if I can't, takes the time to ensure that I do, who cares enough that I do. I've also accepted that I love chivalry a whole lot more than I thought I did. In fact, I have to have it. It's a requirement. That's about the only thing island boy got right...in the beginning. He is no longer Mr. Right Now. He is history. Officially, when he decides to call back so that I can tell him because I refuse to call him :)

2 comments:

trE said...

Good luck with things, Val & good riddance to him!

Me said...

thanks :) I swear I'm going to be a Golden Girl, trE.