Monday, April 1, 2013

Exiting the Cellular Stone Age

SO I (finally) got a new phone AND I was able to save on my cellphone bill and get more features in the process! I am thrilled.  My previous plan was a no-contract, unlimited text and talk plan for $50 each phone (2 family phones).  My current plan is a no-contract, unlimited text, talk, AND 500mb web account for $50 for the first phone and $30 for the second phone.  So, with the cost of the new phones included in the monthly bill (one for me and one for my son) my bill has only gone up about $7 per month!  I went from $117/mo to roughly $124/mo, depending on taxes and surcharges. And now I have a “smart” phone with all sorts of bells and whistles that I’m thinking I may come to love. For starters, I can operate my home security system from my phone now, which is a definite plus.  And my text messages are no longer rudimentary, lol.  Yes, I was definitely in the Stone Age with that old Samsung I was using (it had a full push-button sliding keyboard).  I couldn’t even see half the things that my friends were sending me because I didn’t have the capability on that phone. Not anymore, though. The frustration has ended.  But nobody is more delighted and proud about my new phone than my son.  He has been bugging me for years to upgrade and he is certainly a phone geek.  Always coming to me with a sales pitch for the latest phone on the market and I’d essentially go “bah” and fan him away stubbornly, not about to fix something that wasn’t broke. I’m still a bit of a curmudgeon, that hasn’t changed.  But now I’m a curmudgeon with a cool ass Blackberry Z10.

2 comments:

trE said...

While you're playing, I've been eyeing that Blackberry Z10 myself and it may very well be my gift to myself this Christmas! LOL. Congrats Val on your new phone! Welcome to the 21st Century! I know how you feel, I just got an Android about 6 months ago. LOL...

Me said...

A week later and I barely use any of these bells and whistles, haha. Texting is taking a bit to get used to w/ no actual buttons to push, and sliding the screen to answer the phone is slightly annoying, but I'm rolling with it. I'm hip and fancy now. ;) lol