Friday, April 26, 2013

It’s a good day. I really can’t complain. I’ve been a little miffed lately, all of my own doing, though. I’m hard on myself when it comes to getting stuff that I need and want to get done. But honestly, I needed to chill the fuck out and relax these last few weeks. I really did. And despite my mind telling me to get the hell up and DO something, I did hardly anything. I spent the last…*counts ‘em*…4 months hustling toward a specific goal, which I completed (HOLLA!), so by March 30th I had compiled a To-Do list spanning a couple miles long. But I needed to rest after that 4 month stint, and I deserved to rest but my “go-get-‘em” mind just wouldn’t shut up, so I felt a bit guilty about resting. I had to remind myself last night that I’m still on track and to quit tripping. My plans haven’t been derailed. I still have…*counts ‘em*…roughly nine months to make it do what I want it to do so that my dreams will come true. I am one determined black woman, Jack. I refuse to let my stride buckle. My laurels hardly get slept on. I love my life but I don’t think I’ll ever be content enough to stop trying to make it better. Maybe when I retire to Hawaii… but probably not 

It looks like I’ll be going back to New Orleans, after all. My mother is a mess. She’s never interested in anything until after her chance to do it has passed. So now there isn’t a conversation I’ve had with her that doesn’t involve the mystique of New Orleans and her desire to go and see and do. And while I did enjoy a good portion of my trip there, I was a bit bummed about having not done it all in the 3.5 days that I was there this past March. I spent a mint and only scratched the surface of things to do and see, and now this woman is reading through a tourists guide and is gung-ho to plan a family trip back to The Big Easy in an RV. Okay, sure. As long as it’s in an RV, though, because if they decide to drive in a regular old car where I would have to spend 3 days, maybe longer, in very close proximity with those jackals, I’ll opt to fly and meet them there. A 4 hour car ride to Vegas with them gives me the jitters and crazy hair, so I can only imagine what DAYS in a car with them would do to me. So no, thanks. RV or I’m flying. I remember driving from L.A. to STL with my grandmother, aunt, uncle, mom and cousins in a minivan when I was a kid and, boy, was that a doozy. My grandmother cried because everyone complained about being cold with her window being down and she was going through menopause. Drama... of which, my mother definitely inherited. During my last Vegas trip with her she cussed me out because she was feeling bad about her loud snoring. Mind you, I hadn’t said a word about it. She just THOUGHT I was upset over her loud snoring and being unable to sleep. At times, that woman is cray. And the rest of them are sitcom-worthy. It’s much funnier when the sitcom isn’t your own life, though.
Anyway, it’s a payday Friday, the sun is shining brightly and I’m feeling pretty optimistic. I heading to an art class tomorrow that I’m pretty excited about and, after that, maybe a few garage sales or thrift store jaunts.
Hope you have a good one.

No comments: