Thursday, November 19, 2009

15 Years Ago Today...

I was laid up in a hospital bed in Inglewood, California with about 10 blankets on me, cold and completely exhausted after spending a full day in labor, 6 hours of hard labor, and then, finally at 3:40am delivering a 6 pound, 14 ounce baby boy from my nether regions, lol. I can laugh today but I damn sure wasn't laughing then. I was too tired to even giggle. It wasn't as painful as everyone had souped it up to be but it was certainly harder than I could have ever imagined. After he was born, both of our body temperatures dropped tremendously because we had become accustomed to relying on the others' body heat to keep us warm. So there I lay with 10 blankets atop me while the other part of me was in a hot incubator down in the nursery trying to work up his own body temp.
Last night he was worried that no one but me would remember to wish him a happy birthday today (it's already starting. the woes many of us experience every year for some insane reason on our birthdays) but this morning at like 5am his paternal grandma in Florida called and woke me up :( I ignored the phone though and as soon as I'd gone back to dreamland (I was having a great dream about shopping in a thrift store) his aunt called but she went to voicemail and hung up before I could answer. So I gave up the fight to get more winks, got up and woke him up. He ended up getting 5 happy birthday wishes before he headed off to school, cologned down to the socks for an afternoon movie date with his girlfriend and two of their female friends. My baby's all growed up. Wow. It really takes getting used to and lately I've been imagining what it'll be like when he leaves the nest and I'm not so much a part of his life anymore. Or when he starts a family of his own! I really hope he chooses a great woman to be the mother of my grandchildren and ensures that I see them often. Yeah, my thoughts are spiraling out of control, lol. He's only 15 :)
Anyway, I have red velvet cupcakes and DJ Guitar Hero to pick up today because it's my Boobie's birthday. :D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cute! I love that you are thinking way ahead. Tell him I said Happy Birthday! Hope you 2 have a great evening :)
~PMG