Thursday, November 5, 2009

I want to be a jet setter when I grow up


Whenever someone starts talking about their travels – what they bought in Timbuktu, how it smells in India and Paris, sailing across the jungle sky in Costa Rica – I get jealous. Having never left the country, I have nothing to add to the conversation and that really sucks. But traveling is in my bones, I can feel it. In all my years I haven’t been able to do much more than local travel though (local being Las Vegas, driving across the country to St. Louis, a weekend in New York) because of my parental responsibilities and super (duper) weak bank account. But now that my son is growing out of the nest (3 more years and he’ll be a technical adult! Where did the time go!?) and my bank account is getting stronger, I’m planning and preparing to get my travel on. I want a passport, dammit! with lots and lots of stickers on it. I want to see Paris at night in the spring, ride a bike in Bali, learn to hula in Tahiti, see the castles in England, stargaze in Tunisia, Brazil, Greece, Tuscany... I want to furnish my house with stuff I picked up in far away places and learn bits and pieces of a language or 3. All I want to do in my 40s and 50s is travel and remodel my house. That would be so fucktastic. I already have plans in my head for my son’s room when he moves out, lol. French doors leading out onto the flagstone patio in the backyard will replace one of his window pairs. I’ll make his room my office/guest room with an insanely comfy sofa bed in there for daydreaming &/or sleep over’s. He doesn’t know this yet. It’ll be a surprise :) For me, it’ll be a dream. I've gotta start planning and saving!
I guess I'm thinking more about all of this now because he is growing up and my nest is going to be empty soon. I still can't believe it. My biggest role for the past 15 years was being his mother, so what will I do with myself once he no longer needs as much mothering? The plan is to to build, remodel, landscape, travel, and write. I'll start by taking classes at Home Depot in a few weeks. Then whatever upgrades I make I'll post pictures of.

2 comments:

trE said...

Lady, I am right there with you. Although I've been out of the country, I still want to experiences other areas located on the globe... I for one want to live in Hawaii for at least a few years; get my Pacific Islander on and such... *crosses fingers for you* Your time will come.

Me said...

Yup! I want to live in Hawaii too. For a while I'd decided that's where I'd retire but then I started thinking bigger, lol, and now...i dunno. Anyway, we should go to Jamaica, Tre! That hotel in the picture is gorgeous.