Sunday, January 2, 2011

Merry New Year!

I'm so antsy today. Carpe diem, and all that good stuff. My son returned home this morning and I'm toying with the idea of taking us out to eat to commemorate the new year (Jamaican or Japanese? Or home cooked??) . However, I am still broke. It's going to take me a while to get used to not spending. In fact, I didn't leave the house at all yesterday and only went out for a quick spell on Thursday (I had to buy my bottle of New Years cider and run a few errands) just so that I wouldn't be tempted to spend any more money. I found myself in Crate and Barrel about to make an impulse buy, but thankfully, the meter had run out on my parking space and I didn't want to get a parking ticket. So I put my overpriced, unnecessary items back and power walked to my car to go home. Actually, I did leave the house once yesterday - I put on my rain boots and yellow rubber gloves to go do some backyard work. But after about 15 minutes I decided to stop and wait for my son's return, because I was afraid of what animals could be hiding underneath all those leaves. Yes, I am still a pansy. I worked on the front yard a little, instead... in a pair of plaid rubber rainboots, black stretch pants, yellow rubber gloves, and an over-sized black t-shirt :). Yes, a few of the parade attendees walking down my street looked at me like I was crazy, but who are they to judge? They camped out overnight on my street in 30 degree weather waiting for a freaking parade to pass by.
Anyway, the kitchen cabinets are now painted red and they look fantastic. I cleaned my house from top to bottom, shredded a bunch of old papers, watched a couple of movies and a lot of the DIY network, and realized that I didn't feel lonely at all. I was sure that I'd miss my son terribly and be afraid to sleep at night, but I wasn't. I slept like a baby all 4 nights. I brought in the new year to the raucous sounds of campers on my block and the movie "Ramona and Beezus" (I was a fan as a kid so I had to check it out). Then, about 20 minutes into the start of the new year, I went to sleep...feeling safe and sound in my warm, cozy, clean home.
Now I'm antsy and want to seize the day. I might splurge a little on some jerk chicken or some sushi rolls.

No comments: