Sunday, August 30, 2009

The Sleep Clinic

So at 2:30am I got up and went home. Let me explain; that sleep clinic was some BULLSHIT and not at all conducive to sleep. First of all, it was a little nook of a boutique-ish shop situated in a shopping center. There were only two sleep rooms and they rivaled the shabbiest of motels for most shabbiest. The mattress was really just a big block of foam, probably from Ikea, but manageable. And the pillows were strangely hard. Now, I've experienced uncomfortable pillows before but these were akin to stuffing a pair of jeans tightly into a pillow case. Luckily, I brought my own pillow, but I figured being a sleep clinic and all that they would have at least one pillow in the room that I could double mines up with. I only brought my satin covered one since my hair would be down and I didn't want it snagging in cheap cotton but their pillow was way too hard (and I'm not being a baby about this, trust me) and doubling them tilted my neck and head up unnaturally high so I chucked it and just laid semi-flat on mine. So there I lay, with no less than a hundred wires glued to my head, neck, scalp and legs, two prongs sticking out of my nose and a "snore mic" taped to my throat, trying to drift off the sleep. I was a trooper; I started thinking happy thoughts and made the most of the situation in the name of science and my health, but as soon as I started to drift off to sleep the entire ceiling shook and the A/C kicked in like it was being jumpstarted. My heart slammed against my rib cage and my eyes shot open. That's also about the time I started to smell smoke from the nearby brush fires. I wore pajama pants and a tshirt but that little airplane-quality blanket and lone top sheet weren't keeping me warm so my muscles were tense. After about 20 minutes of trying to make do, I knocked on the wall and asked the sleep tech for another blanket. She brought me one but decided to turn the air down. So now I'm hot :/ Then I hear her in the next room talking to the other sleep patient, trying to hook his wires up. When that was done roughly 15 minutes later I tried even harder to think happy thoughts so that I could fall asleep. It was working and as I was fading I heard her yapping on the phone to someone. WTF!? I woke right up. Then the A/C jolted on again and startled the hell out of me. Then I heard a super hype cricket going to town somewhere. It was all a great big mess. By this time I was so stressed that I think it's going to be impossible for me to sleep in that place. Plus, I'm hungry and thinking about pancakes because they instructed me not to eat past 6:30pm and my last meal had been at 4:30pm. I knocked on the wall again, told the sleep tech it wasn't going to work, had her unhook me and I drove home at 2:30am with sticky gook in my head, on my face and on my neck. Once home, I took a shower, washed my hair and slept like an infant. The experiment was not a success.

3 comments:

rashad said...

This is the second time I've heard less than stellar reviews about a sleep study/clinic. I think i will pass...

Anonymous said...

so what did you do this for? research or do you have a sleep problem? I wonder how the patients in cct feel with all the noise in the halls?
-PMG

Me said...

When I wore the 24 hour heart monitor it picked up sinus tachychardia (sp?) and syncope and my doctor wanted to rule out any sleep issues. Plus, my ex used to tell me that sometimes I'd stop breathing at night and then start back again really abruptly. I called the sleep clinic yesterday to explain why I left and they told me that the computer logged me in as being asleep for a whole 80 minutes. I didn't think I slept at all so I guess that wasn't quiet REM sleep but sleep nonetheless. *shrug. The lady I spoke to also told me that the guy in the other room didn't get much sleep either and complained of smelling all the smoke from the fires. I don't think many sleep clinics period are conducive to sleep. But hey, maybe there are some places that take this stuff more seriously and make their rooms comfy for patients.