Thursday, June 3, 2010

Oh, Irwin... *smh

As a parent, it’s natural to worry... right? Growing up, my mother worried constantly about me. If I wasn’t home from school at precisely the minute I usually walked through the front door, she was lacing up her sneakers and heading out to look for me. She walked me to the city bus stop every morning, waited with me, and kissed me goodbye in front of L.A. traffic, until I protested in the 8th grade. It didn’t matter to her that I was significantly taller than her, wore the same bra size that she did, and that people might mistake us for lesbians.

Until this day, my mom worries about me. Whenever I am out late, she demands that I call her as soon as I get home. And if I forget to call, she wakes me up in the middle of the night with a phone call, telling me she was worried. I’m 35 years old and my momma still worries about me. However, throughout all of my years, I have rarely ever done anything I wasn’t supposed to do. I was Old Reliable (still am, truth be told), you could count on me to do the right thing. So my mother never worried that I would do something wrong; she worried that someone else would do something wrong to me.

But my son? He’s just the flippin’ opposite of me. Even more naïve than I was because he was raised away from the inner city, but on top of that, he’s extremely hard headed. Visually, he is my spitting image but personality-wise we are night and day, onion and tomato, oil and water.

Being Old Reliable, I have done everything within my power that I can imagine to ensure that he stays on the straight and narrow. Yet all he’s done is try to figure out ways to outsmart me, failing every time. I am beyond frustrated and worried that he is going to grow up to be a huge loser… and I will die from worrying about him.

There are times when I try to have faith that he’ll be alright, and I try not to worry so much. I’ll compare him to other kids I know – his cousins, friends, my friends’ kids, etc. – and I realize that he is not sailing this boat to Losersville alone. In fact, many of them are worse off than he is. Which leads me to wonder, what the fuck is going on? Where the hell did we all go wrong?? On Facebook a few of his cousins and friends have added me to their friends’ list and 9 out of ten of them can’t spell or string a sentence together for shit. And they’re older than he is! And three of the main culprits have graduated high school. No college, though. Of course, they all still live at home, mooching off their parents, with very little indication that they will ever leave Losersville. I’m telling you, parenting is highly overrated.

This evening his father is coming over to bust up his shit. Literally. I’ll be removing the computer and cell phone from his possession asap. Otherwise, they, too, will get busted up. Dad is pissed, as he should be. Hopefully, this time though, his point will get across to that thick-domed one that is our son.

About the title: When he was much younger we used to call him "Irwin" after Danny Devito's character from the movie "Throw Mama From the Train." (Later, we found out that his characters' name was really Owen, but Irwin stuck) We'd tease him, saying "Irwin loves his mama." Well, today he's looking more and more like frickin' Irwin :( destined to be living with his mama until she dies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can this just be a phase? "like let me see how much I can push my mom's buttons and how much I can get away with?" phase. Man, parents have it tough! I think it's one of the most stressful jobs out there. It is not overrated, in fact I think it is the total opposite, people make it seem like it is too easy and not a big deal, but it is freaken hard. I am not a mom, and I only speak from experience working at a day care, and dude and all I had to do was 4-8 hour shift and I was exhausted! Good Luck and wishing you the best. Let us know how it panned out with his dad giving him a talk.
-PMG

Me said...

I think a lot of people don't want to be that ONE to complain and actually tell the truth, lol. Everybody wants to pretend like their kid is perfect and not, well...a kid! I know that this is a phase he's going through because we all go through them. It's a part of learning and growing. Nobody pops out of the womb like Athena fully formed (is my nerdery showing? haha). This is another thing that I love about you, Patty. You spent 4-8 hours with a bunch of toddlers and knew right then and there that parenting should not be a hobby, lol. Too many people have kids not knowing that they'll be individuals with personalities all their own and not minnie me's.