Monday, September 6, 2010

Craving Couture...or just designer duds

Ever since Friday when my friend decided to splurge and spend $695 on a pair of Jimmy Choo shoes, which I thought was a gross waste of good money by the way, I have had this intense urge to go shopping for designer + expensive duds, but I'm wrestling with my wallet.
The infamous shoes that she spent somebody's rent money on weren't even all that cute, either - glittery looking slingback platforms. I'm sure the swapmeet has some just like it for $19.99 w/out the fancy name inside. But when she described how they made her feeeeel... like she was wearing THE silver Cinderella slippers... and I saw that familiar twinkle in her eyes, that's when the lust came over me. I knew that feeling well and I needed it in my life again - that confidence that you feel when you're wearing a super expensive, understated designer whatchamajig as if you were born to wear it, as if you have your own theme music when you enter a room. Like, "She Walks this Earth" or "The Men all Pause," lol. That "I'm the SHIT and everyone knows it!" feeling. Like the director just shouted "ACTION!" and you're a star! And You are ON!
So for three days I've been torn between my wallet (reality) and a massive overhaul of my closet (romance). My wallet. My closet. Wallet... closet. :( My closet now looks like shit to me and my wallet aint making things any better. I want to buy all those super expensive + cute + irrational things that I constantly deny myself the pleasure of in the name of good sense and frugality. After all, clothes aren't investments, they don't appreciate, they can't keep me secure and fed, which is what I've been taught matters most to wise young women like myself. Then again, I think that perhaps being secure and fed is grossly overrated and I've been duped into thinking that eating would make me happier than, say, a shiny new pair of Fendi boots. At the moment, eating hasn't made me anything but heavier than I desire to be. And I have no fashionable boots to compensate for it.
So, what would a legendary star like Marilyn Monroe do, hmm? Methinks she'd be looking fabulous in a pair of Fendi boots with a new Citizen watch on her wrist and a nice Alexander McQeeen dress flattering her frame. Just maybe not all at once. Perhaps it was this attitude that killed her so young. haha, I'm kidding.
Anyway, I have to decide what's most important to me - eating or looking good. Looking fly while being homeless and/or hungry really isn't where it's at, I bet. The homeless don't have closets.

No comments: