Friday, September 3, 2010

I love Yelp.com

I signed up a couple of months ago and have been addicted ever since. It was great when I was just an observer, reading mostly-unbiased, unfiltered reviews about places before I handed over my money and time. But it’s even better now that I am a reviewer myself! I won’t dine out or plan a trip without it, it’s such an invaluable tool. I mean, everybody has an opinion, right? Yelp is my way of giving back, giving credit where it’s due. And I think I grade fairly well.

So, yes, I’ve been sort of cheating on my blog to write up reviews for Yelp, my guilty passion. It’s only right that I share a handful of my reviews here.

Barney's Beanery

Categories: Bars, American (Traditional)

Neighborhood: Pasadena

5/27/2010

I won't be back. The ambiance is great, the wait staff is very attentive. HOWEVER, I didn't even make it back to my car before I got bubble guts and had to race home like Mario Andretti. Thankfully, I LIVE in Pasadena, otherwise, I might not have made it to my toilet in time :( And then I spent the rest of my evening feeling miserable. I've eaten at the Barney's in Hollywood a few times and everything was fine. This Barney's, though, will never see me again. Oh, and to add insult to injury, the food wasn't even good. I got some sort of thai pasta dish that was WAY too spicy and I'm Creole so I can handle spice. This dish was just ridiculously hot, with no flavor other than, well, hot. I didn't finish it. It was akin to roasting my tongue over an open flame, which, as you can imagine, wouldn't be very enjoyable.

People thought this was:Funny (2)

Kingston Cafe

Categories: Caribbean, Local Flavor

Neighborhood: Pasadena

9/3/2010

Fabulous! My teenage son, who is a young food critic in the making, couldn't stop raving about his jerk chicken, sweet bread and everything on his plate, all of which he promptly devoured. He loved his dessert as well - spice cake w/ vanilla bean ice cream, if I recall correctly. I had the jerk chicken as well, and the meat was so tender and juicy, easily falling off the bone. Not too spicy (for me) but just spicy enough without overcompensating. The food presentation was nice and our waiter was great - attentive, yet not a bug-a-boo. We kept looking at the food ordered by the people sitting next to us, because theirs smelled and looked delicious, as well. The little house atmosphere and the live reggae band was a lovely touch. I truly enjoyed my dinner there and will be back. I think its family owned and operated, which is aces in my book. Family run businesses tend to take a lot of pride and care in what they do since, usually, everything is on the line.

21 Choices

Category: Ice Cream & Frozen Yogurt

Neighborhood: Pasadena

9/3/2010

I love this little shop. More often than not, there is a line outside the door spilling onto the sidewalk, but that's mostly because there isn't much room inside. As soon as you walk in youre greeted with huge smiles and the smell of fresh waffle cones. It's all really quite smile-inducing, so your mood lifts (unless you're just a surly a**hole and nothing could impress you). They change the flavors regularly and you're allowed to sample as much as you want before making a commitment, which is nice. And no one makes you feel guilty for it, either. Then you can choose from all the edible toppings you can imagine, or none at all. It's up to you. They even have Cap’n Crunch cereal as a topping option. Everything is made right there in front of you on a cold slab and then squished into your choice of waffle bowl, cone or cup. The prices aren't outrageous, either *cough* like Coldstones! *cough cough!* You'll have a little change left over when you go skipping out of there, all smiles and with childish enthusiasm. Who wouldn't like that experience?

2169 Kalia Rd

Honolulu, HI 96815

(808) 922-2210

Outrigger Catamaran

Categories: Boating, Boat Charters

8/27/2010

It's a rip off...unless all you want to do is sail a couple of miles off the shore of Waikiki beach. That's all we did, when what was advertised and promised was a trip around the island to a “secret spot where the best snorkeling is.” Instead, we were literally smack dab in the middle of the bay; you could see our hotel from the boat. Sure, we saw and fed a bunch of black fish in the supremely murky water, and there were some turtles poking their heads up at us, but after we'd gotten out of the water our host told us that it isn't unusual for hungry sharks to visit that same area. Gee...thanks for letting us know we were in danger AFTER the fact. A bunch of novice swimmers piddling around in the salty ocean with yellow noodles to keep us afloat and we would have easily been lunch for Jaws and his boys. During our time out on the catamaran, our "tour guides" pushed and prodded us to buy drinks and other goodies from them. In between peddling goods, neither of them could stop flirting w/ two Italian girls on board in skimpy bikini’s. The rest of us slobs were forced to sit and watch in disgust. Then, as luck would have it, we spotted a gray mother whale teaching her progeny how to breathe for long periods under water. They swam directly under our boat one time and then surfaced on the other side! Now, THAT made the otherwise lousy trip worthwhile.

But these guys are a couple of loafs who make their living swindling tourists. I can't say that this trip was worth even half the money we paid. The only saving grace is seeing Hawaii's beauty from a distance, the pod of spinner dolphins, and the whales, none of which they can take credit for.

Trendy Beauty Salon

Category: Beauty and Spas

Neighborhood: Pasadena

8/18/2010

Mai is fantastic for waxing but skip the nail service. I had an older gentleman do my manicure and even before I had left the salon my nails looked a hot mess. But I'm an optimist so I rolled with it. Plus, I had somewhere to be. At least the color was very neutral. My initial grips: there were bubbles in the "paint," he cut them way too short, he also screwed up my cuticles and didn't even cover the entire nail with polish. Then a younger girl was assigned to do my pedicure and it was well below basic. Something I could have done at home on my own. In fact, had I just stayed home and slapped some OPI or Zoya polish on my toes, they would have looked 10 times better. Two days later both my hands and feet look a wreck. Everyone in the salon was nice, if that means anything to you. But Mai was the best. My bikini wax didn't hurt a bit, she was extremely patient and made me feel very comfortable. Oh, and my eyebrows look dynamite. I'd only return for waxing with Mai - brows were $7 when I went.

Zushi

Categories: Sushi Bars, Japanese

Neighborhood: Pasadena

5/27/2010

the very first time we ever tried zushi, we fell in love. a quaint, cute little place tucked away from the crowds of colorado, which was perfect for us. plus, back then they gave you sorbet after your meal as a palet cleanser. they no longer do this but the food is still very, very good. it's the best sushi in pasadena, in my opinion, and i've lived here for 12 years and eaten at a bunch of sushi spots. my ONLY beef with zushi is their wait staff rushing to kick you out and get home at closing time. Don't try to show up 20 minutes before closing, either, or you will get the look of death, lol. Other than that, I love this place. the food is absolutely delicious and fresh and it's an all around great dining experience.

Edit Remove

People thought this was:Funny (2)Send To A Friend Link to this Review Write an Update

Tito's Tacos

Category: Mexican

Neighborhood: Culver City

5/27/2010

I am an LA native and these are the absolute worst tacos you will find in the city. There is no doubt in my mind. They are literally swimming in grease, with zero flavor, unless you count the taste of lard, and with each bite you will feel one step closer to having a heart attack. My boyfriend and I were dumbfounded over the length of the line, which is what prompted us to give Tito's a try. Turns out, most of the people in line stopped for the same reason we did - curiosity over the long line of patrons. We didn't stick around to ask them what they thought of the tacos. As for the two of us, we will NEVER be back. This place is highly overrated.

People thought this was:Cool (1)

No comments: