Thursday, November 11, 2010

What’s on my Kameela-Ass-list (KAM)?

It’s funny how whenever I’ve come to the end of a relationship with a man I feel an incredible sense of freedom, the sun seems to be shining just a little bit brighter, I have an extra pep to my step, and the road ahead seems endless and ripe with discovery and opportunity. It’s an odd mixture of jubilation and sadness though. It’s always disappointing when something you tried to do doesn’t work out. But for the most part I’ve always welcomed being alone with myself again. With this recent breakup, however, the sun isn’t shining as bright. I enjoyed being a unit even when he got on my nerves. And I honestly tried with him but, at this point in my life, I know exactly when trying is futile. So the other day I sat and thought about what I want in a man. I’m sort of pessimistic and think that finding my “list” is going to take more work that I care to put in. Therefore I’m preparing myself to be alone. Here’s some of what I came up with:

  • Must not smoke cigarettes, crack, marijuana, dope of any kind, legal or not. I might be willing to budge a little on the cigs and weed, as long as I can't smell it.
  • No alcoholics.
  • Must be at least 5’6 inches tall
  • Cannot be a control freak. I want a partner, not a boss.
  • Cannot be overly traditional. I don’t want to be domestic servant.
  • Must have integrity and be faithful
  • Has to be family oriented and respectful of mines
  • No ex-cons, regardless of the crime
  • Must be hardworking and employable
  • Must be relatively self-sufficient, considerate, and kind
  • Cannot dress ghetto-fab, no socks with sandals, no track suits/linen suits/jumpsuits, no velour or velvet (unless it’s a very fashionable sports coat/blazer), nothing cheaply made, no knock off tennis shoes, no high-water pants, etc.
  • No gold teeth or chemicals in the hair
  • Cannot be a cheap skate
  • Has to be in a position to pay for dinner/movies/most dates
  • Has to be intelligent
  • Has to be able to make me laugh and have a great sense of humor
  • Must be down to earth, have confidence but not be a cocky-asshole
  • Must be driven

I think this is a good start. There’s more that I can’t think of right now, but I’ll know it when I see it.

No comments: