Thursday, July 21, 2011

And so it begins…

I guess it’s normal to be scared shitless and feeling wholly inadequate, yet bursting with excitement when you’re setting out to be your own boss. This leap has the potential to make me enormously happy or, if I don’t succeed, pretty damn sad. Therefore, the following comments & questions are running through my head:
I’m scared. I can’t do this. Can I do this? Am I creative enough? Is it in me? Am I patient enough? Is this crazy? Am I crazy? Will I survive even a year? Will I survive long enough to make a profit? Am I certain this is what will make me happy? How can I be fearless when this is such an enormous undertaking? It’s Goliath! Can I be David? Is it enough for me to just like pretty things and be able to recognize them? Should I be able to design them as well? Is what I design even pretty? Jesus, take the wheel.
I reassure myself with reminders that everyone likes my designs and some have even gone so far as to copy me and request my decorating help. I’m no stranger to hard work and I’m the most determined person I know. So what, I don’t have much experience running a business, but who does at first? Every successful business owner was once a novice learning to swim. I know what to do; I can doggy paddle. I’ve memorized the mechanics of it. I can make this happen. Worry is taxes paid that may never come due, right? So I’m throwing worry to the wind. I’m passionate about this idea, and really, all I need is passion. Time to put on my big girl panties and be the boss I was born to be.
But first, here are my excuses for why you may not see my name in lights so soon, lol:
I have a full time job and a mortgage. I’m applying for a two year, non-stop, time-consuming program. I need money to make money and, so far, I only have a little bit of money, which means start up costs will have to be tackled slowly. But slow and steady CAN win a race, dammit! Did I mention that I’m the most determined person that I know? I’ll get there, come hook or crook. You watch.
''Every morning when I open my eyes I wonder what I can do to make myself famous. It's become my ambition, almost my raison d'être, to burst upon the city like fireworks.''
- Coco in Shanghai Baby


No comments: