Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sunday musings

On our way back from the beach yesterday we stopped to get gas. And while I waited for my tank to fill up I decided to clean my windshield. When I put the squeegee back into the container of water, some guy popped out of nowhere and said "Can you wash my window's now, too?" I gave him a look like "boy, please" and said, with a smile "I can hand you this squeegee and YOU can wash your windows." He laughed and pretended to be hurt. Then his friend in the passenger seat of his Porche convertible said "He just likes cute girls with long hair, that's all." To which I replied "Aww!" and got in my car and closed the door. Is this the way courtship is done now days? I wasn't prepared for that awkwardness but I didn't give it a second thought after I'd closed my door and drove off. Had he caught me a few weeks ago, though, I likely would have suggested that he call me. Lately, my mood has transitioned to "meh" when it comes to men and dating. But just last weekend, as my cousin and I were quickly departing the Erwin Hotel in Venice Beach, I wished she would slow down so that the African guy who was busy texting on his phone would notice me and say something. Hollahollahollaholla was all on my mind. He was tall, dark and handsome and he didn't seem to notice me at all. Oh well, it wasn't meant to be, I suppose.
Last night Mr. EC wanted me to go out with her. She's a DJ groupie and can be a little demanding when we go out, always trying to control the way I look ("wear a dress...make sure you wear eyelashes...don't crimp your hair...that looks hot, wear that again...make sure you crimp your hair") and it can be a tad disconcerting. I don't always feel like getting glammed up and especially not to please a woman or the people who frequent the house music-playing clubs she likes to take me to. Besides, it's a waste of glamour and time because nobody I want to impress is ever at the places she takes me. So last night, after we'd returned to my mothers' house from the beach, I laid in my moms bed and took a cat nap while the baby kept climbing over me and trying to force open my eyelids. I loved feeling her little hands on my face and the weight of her body climbing over me like I was a wall. When I woke up it was almost 9pm and my used-to-be-surly niece called to say that she and her girlfriend were coming over so we could drink mojito's and eat pastrami sandwiches from Johnnie's Pastrami. That sounded like the party I was in the mood for last night. So I texted Mr. EC and told her that it didn't look likely that I would make it home in time to get dressed and go out with her to the "oontz oontz" club and she never responded. She's one of those funny women who expect you to always be available to her, on her time, and all about her. But when you have a life of your own, she is not amused but rather insulted. Ha! She often likes to tell me about the guys she's dating or, when she's not dating anyone she likes to tell me about the women in her life who constantly hate on her. But I am expected to simply listen, never share, because she honestly couldn't give a damn about my life or the people in it. Of course, I've told her about this flaw of hers so now she pretends to be an interested friend. But still, she can cancel whatever plans we make and I'm okay with it. However, when I cancel...I get attitude. I brush her off since I've never taken her seriously, anyway. Hence the nickname "Mr. Ed Choppers."
I'm back to business as usual. My focus has returned to it's regular programming and my "man high" is no more. I've come down to Earth and begun making more appropriate plans. I can now look back on the last few months and smile at the experiences, be grateful for them, and leave them in the past. I almost didn't want to leave my house yesterday because I'd cleaned it up so perfectly the night before that I just wanted to languish in it and smile at my work. I even hemmed those Ikea curtains that I'd put off hemming for over 2 months and trimmed the bushes in front of my porch. So today, Sunday, I will watch my Netflix movie, marvel at my beautiful little home, make more plans for the future, and be grateful for my life and the experiences I've had.

No comments: