Saturday, February 13, 2010

My kitchen does not inspire culinary creativity

It's much too small, and despite the whimsical diner themed wallpaper I put up and my other decorating attempts to elicit a desire in me to make good food, I do not enjoy cooking in there. I don't even want to spend 20 minutes in there. There is no counter space and it's too cramped. I bet Julia Child never had this problem. What's worse is, I'm always hungry. haha. I simply adore food. Last night a good friend and her friend (with weird false eyelashes, but I'll get to that later...maybe) and I went out to dinner at this Benihanas-like Japanese spot in Monrovia. Complete with koi pond, zen garden, and white paper screens, the ambiance and food was divine. And cooked up right there in front of us - at our table, in fact - on a big flaming grill. I want to cook and eat like that every night. But I can't afford to eat at quirky Japanese restaurants every night. So I must do something about my uninspiring little kitchen. Maybe I need to see it with new eyes. Maybe I should paint my cabinets red. Size isn't important, right? It doesn't matter, right? I wish that were true. I'll have to make the best of it though, because I won't be moving anytime soon, nor will I be hiring contractors to expand my 1920s kitchen further into the backyard. The heart of my home may be small but it has loads of character. That counts for something, doesn't it? Sure it does. I'll get to work on it first thing tomorrow.

So now about the chick with the busted eyelashes. As we waited for our mutual friend to get ready so we could go, she talked to me while looking off in another direction. A whole sordid tale about her troubles with Tmobile and she's staring into the kitchen, only making eye contact with me twice, probably just to make sure I wasn't looking off elsewhere, lol. And her eyelashes were a hot ass mess. They partially covered her eyelid, leaving space on each side of her eye. So she had short lashes on the sides and big, butterfly lashes in the center. Considering they were uneven, I figured this wasn't done purposely. I guess she'd lost some lashes over time and never bothered to remove the rest. It was like having artificial nails on 3 fingers and the index finger and thumb were broken. Poor thing, all night she talked about her celebrity connection with Ellen Degeneres and one of the chicks from the 90s group, Jade. Then she had to nerve to say that her fake Fendi bag cost $2500. I was sure it was fake because I'd seen the exact bag at the Roadium swapmeet last weekend with the horrid stitching. Someone like that must live in so much misery. Part of me wanted to hug her and the other part wanted to snatch those damn eyelashes off of her eyes.

No comments: