Monday, February 11, 2013

Don't try to buckle my stride...and other randomness

I've been writing in here a lot less frequently because I’ve been pretty busy, moving and shaking and increasing my happiness quotient. Life is pretty good these days, as I’ve posted a couple of times before :).

Last night, out of the blue I received a message from a guy I used to have a big crush on. This comes right on the heels of me mentally deciding to buckle down and focus strictly on myself. Naturally, right? But I couldn’t NOT respond. My curiosity would have done away with me! What does he want and why does he want it now? I aim to see, and hopefully it’s good. I could use some more good in my life. All last night and this morning I fantasized about him. Damn shame, aint it? Hey, I’m only human, but I’m striving to keep it cool. My thirst will be kept tightly under wraps, lol. This guy is considerably older than me, for a change. Haha. He’s 50! But he looks absolutely fantastic and has the brain to match. He’s not a young idiot, which is so very refreshing *knock on wood. What’s weird is I discovered by accident that he went to school with my ex’s older sister. Facebook is a funny thing. One day, while perusing my feed, Facebook suggested a mutual friend to me and it was him! Imagine my surprise. So down that rabbit hole I went and discovered that they’d attended elementary school together (random, right?) and that he’d posted their 4th grade class photo and tagged my ex’s sister in it. I don’t know where a soul from my 4th grade class is today but that’s not at all the case for this generation of folks, I’m realizing. It used to astound me how many people my ex’s sister knew and kept in touch with from her childhood. I don’t know if he knows that there is a personal connection between us, since he’s not my friend on Facebook, but I don’t plan to tell him. We’ll see where this goes, if anywhere.

I’m always looking for ways to improve my house and home but last week when I was running around picking up a kennel that was given to me for my dog, I saw for the first time in a long time that my house is really quite beautiful, especially at night. I pulled up to drop off the kennel before leaving to return my coworkers borrowed truck, and I caught a glimpse of the lights twinkling in my backyard on my pergola, the lights twinkling in the mason jars hanging from the tree in my front yard, my white picket fence, and the pillows I’d sewn for the bench on my front porch all took my breath away. I’ve done a good job of turning that house into a cozy little home. I think seeing my other coworker’s house (who is a doctor. the one who gave me the kennel) helped me put my own house into perspective. Naturally, his house is bigger but in no way is it all that much cozier. I love the Craftsman homes in Pasadena because they have so much character. They look like a home is supposed to look, in my opinion – thoughtful, and anything but boring. They are fully decorated and detailed inside and out, unlike most modern homes I’ve seen that are usually just boxes with flat, boring walls satisfying an end. But I’d rather have a place to rest that reflects my family, our history, my city, and a little whimsy. I think my house satisfies this.

No comments: