Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Carpe Diem?

Have you forgotten how to play? Is your life monotonous or do you try your best to make every moment count? Because, after all, life is a series of moments. I have a relative who is the epitome of a stick in the mud and it bothers me so much I want to yell at her and shake her and maybe throw in a slap or two to ensure I make it clear that her behavior is unacceptable. I kind of feel like I'll catch it - her boring disease - if I'm not careful, and that worries me, lol. However, irrationally (or is it?). Those kind of people tend to suck all the life out of you with their lack of enthusiasm and droning speech, and by the end of a conversation you're feeling like the end of the world is near, the sky is falling and all that other morbid, depressing shit. And then they wonder why their blood pressure is high, and their cholesterol is teetering on the brink of them needing Lipitor, and their joints hurt from doing nothing at all, and they can't walk up a flight of stairs without their legs burning. In a nutshell, they're miserable. And I think they like it. I think she's content with living in her head, never actually playing, just watching others do it.
Until I'm old and gray, and even then, I still want to enjoy going out for fruity drinks with my girlfriends, shopping with my mom, bike riding with my son, falling down while ice skating and then getting up to try again knowing I'll just end up on my ass each time. Before they toss dirt on me I want to say "Yep, I've done that," to at least 80% of all their is to do. It's a lofty goal but I'm up for the challenge. I'm trying to create a living masterpiece, not stew in the mundane. A few weeks ago, I found myself actually playing ding-dong ditch in Beverly Hills at the behest of one silly comrade, but with a spin on the original - I was wearing a sort of "freakum" dress and high heels, and I have to say, it was just as exhilirating as I remember it. Thank God I don't think I'm too old to have fun. Otherwise, you might as well be dead.

2 comments:

rashad said...

I'm SO cutting and pasting this and sending it to my boss as justification for an extended vacation

Me said...

Lol, I'm honored! Hope I can help :)