Thursday, July 16, 2009

Every morning when I open my eyes I wonder what I can do to make myself famous. It's become my ambition, almost my raison d'etre, to burst upon the city like fireworks - Coco in "Shanghai Baby" by Wei Hui

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze than it be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. - Jack London

How will I tackle today? So far, I've forced myself from my bed, stretched my stiff old muscles, and did 50 crunches. Then I hopped on the couch and began reading a ridiculously funny, page turner by Steve Hely that I picked up the other day while perusing Borders. I was in the sun all of 10 minutes and I have a super cocoa suntan. Later on, I'm supposed to be meeting a guy for a movie and some grub but we'll see. Something tells me he's a sneaky little devil masquerading as a saint. He only calls me when he leaves the house, which is quite often but odd. My suspicion is that he's married or shacked up and trying to snag some side swirl. He goes for afternoon walks and calls me while bumbling along, breathing all hard and competing with traffic noise to be heard. Yeah, alright, potna. My desire is to maybe stroll along Colorado and poke my head into a few shops, pick up some frozen yogurt and then stop off somewhere for lunch, maybe finish my book in the park. But if he calls me back (he called yesterday during one of his daily walks but I was on my way to see Harry Potter and couldn't be bothered with small talk at that time so I haven't returned his call) I'll meet him at the Cheesecake Factory or somewhere comparable and chat him up, see if my intuition is on the money. Or at the very least if we're anywhere near compatible. So far, the signs aint pointing north.

4 comments:

rashad said...

Congrats on the crunches. and what's the name of the book, I'm trying to gather reading material for my summer vacation

Me said...

Hey! I'm eating french toast at noon. Vacation is such a wonderful thing. Anyway, the title of the book is "How I became a famous novelist" by Steve Hely. He was a writer for the Late Show with David Letterman and American Dad. So far, he has me captivated.

trE said...

Look at you getting your Richard Simmons on :) Um, wait... Dude is only calling you when he's walking or running errands, etc? Hmm... Are you married or involved would definitely be the number 1 question with this guy... And if no, then ask him why doesn't he called when he's settled and you don't have to struggle to hear him over the phone? Something's not adding up w/ this guy. If you do go out, enjoy yourself :)

Me said...

We met up for lunch and it most definitely aint going to work. It's clear that he's lying about his age and marital status, plus he's hella boring and damn near senile, lol. i don't know how many times i had to repeat myself...oh, and he's cheap and basically just a horny old man. ugh. I might post about it later.