Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Kitchen remodeling/decorating pictures

I love my house. When I bought it I was so geeked about buying an actual house with a back and front yard and not having to settle for a townhouse or condo, which are really just glorified apartments (I can say that now that I have a house), that I was willing to live with the tiny kitchen it came with. I figured I could spruce it up, make do until I can afford to buy another one. I have a traditional cape cod house built in the 1920s. The previous owner kept it well maintained and even included a few modern luxuries like central air and heat to go along with the old world charm of its bay windows and wood-burning fireplace, etc. But the kitchen was less than thrilling. In fact, when I took my son along for a viewing he hated it and begged me not to buy it, lol. I could see if it was a galley kitchen then I could deal with its size. But it's literally a box. It's not pleasing to the eye, theres no symmetry. SOOOOO, I took on the task of beautifying the heart of my home. Threw up some curtains and a few signs, going for a country diner look and decided to finally stop the lazy madness and put up a roll of wallpaper I'd been holding on to for oh, about a year and some change. A friend came over, we cleared off the dining room table and he and I got it cracking! Thank God he was there to help me because there is no way I could've gotten those first few pieces up by myself. Sheet after sheet went up beautifully. Then we ran out. So now only 95% of my wall is covered. I'm pretty disappointed. And to top it off! I'm still not loving my kitchen. My mother says that I won't ever love it because of its size and the way it's positioned and I think she's right. I'll just have to make due I guess, until and if I ever move or come into enough money to renovate it. I have the space in the backyard to expand, just not the clams in which to do so. Anyway, without further ado below are some pictures of the kitchen. I plan to paint the cabinets during my next burst of energy and then redo the floor with new tiles. Oh, and I'm very satisfied with the rest of the house :)

here's the wallpaper. I painted the spice cabinets with chalkboard paint and made them a menu board and a grocery list board










over the stove. The diner picture may be moved or replaced with a stainless steel backsplash, I don't know.









my baby













window, etc.














So I ran out of wallpaper and have about 3 small notebook-sized sections that aren't covered with paper and the website where I bought the wallpaper no longer carries it. I want to cry but before I do I'm going to try to see if maybe I can take a piece of it someplace and have it recreated. Wish me luck.

3 comments:

rashad said...

Very cool. very creative. I expect a dinner invite...

Braddy Clash said...

Hey great job. It's look really great and unique...I really enjoyed it..Do you have some more pics of you kitchen....

Me said...

Thanks Rashad and Braddy! I've collected many cool diner-ish things over the years so I'll post more pics as soon as possible. If only my kitchen were larger I could REALLY do it up.