Monday, June 27, 2011

I feel really good today and I need this to last. I had a surprisingly good weekend. It started with me feeling hum drum, of course, and ended with me laughing hysterically at Mr. Ed Choppers and feeling hopeful about the artist guy. To make a long story short, a friend of mines came to visit on Saturday from San Diego and she convinced me not to give up on him. She asked me what I had to lose and told me that the potential reward would be well worth the small risk. So I gave it some and the following morning I sent him a private message on Facebook. I simply said “Hi,” and that was it. Not much risk, not much to read into, nothing harmful or incriminating, nothing foul. Just “hi”. Then I left the house with another friend of mines, her brother, and his girlfriend and went to the Beverly Hills Hilton to chill and drink by the pool. They had wifi at the hotel and I just so happened to have my iPad with me. So six hours after my morning message to him, he responded with “Hey, how are you?”

And, yes, that was enough to send endorphins shooting to my brain like fireworks, the likes of which have not worn off yet as I sit here at work today, on the worst day of the week – Monday. I’m sucking each and every one of these happy little morsels up before I inevitably crash and go back into hum drum mode. So last night before I went to bed, I responded to his message with “I'm good, thank you. I was wondering if you'd like to go with me to see the graffiti exhibit at MOCA...if you haven't seen it already?

I hope he doesn’t think I’m being too forward, and he doesn’t read too much into that and make a mountain out of a molehill. The way I see it, we can meet there, go dutch, and walk around talking about the exhibit and getting to know each other. Easy peasy, right? No pressure. I’d like to think that he responded to me because he didn’t find me unattractive. I want to think that if he thought I was a hideous, pesky, Alice the Goon-type that he would have simply ignored my simple “hi” to him and not responded at all. But I can never tell for sure. Men, I am coming to understand, are as complex as a Rubik’s Cube. I never could figure that thing out and gave up trying a long time ago. Anyway, I am currently preparing for the worst while hoping for the best. The pessimist in me and my previous experience with similar situations says that nothing good will come of this. So I’ll just fantasize and be happy until I receive confirmation that I’ve been rejected.

On Sunday I went to the Beverly Hilton to hang out by the pool with my girlfriend/Mr. EC and her brother and sister-in-law-to-be. We had a fantastic time drinking mojito’s laughing and talking and enjoying the nice weather. Mr. EC kept spiking her drink with vodka and trying to spike everyone else's. Then, on our way home, we were forced to pull over so that her drunken ass could pee in the street in Beverly Hills in broad daylight! It was crazy. And as you can probably imagine she was a ton of fun on the way home.

Oh! And remember Trumpet Guy? Well I ran into him on Saturday while I was out dancing with two friends. He came up behind me and grabbed my hand. When I saw it was him, I slipped it away and stood there a bit shocked. Then he planted himself right next to us on the dancefloor, looking odd and out of place. He was wearing what looked like his grandfathers’ suit, which was too big and quite goofy looking. I continued to ignore him and hoped that he would go away because he was making me uncomfortable, so then he began talking to one of my friends, as if he was trying to get with her – and make me jealous. Ugh. I wasn’t jealous but I was annoyed, so he succeeded in partly ruining my night. Right before we left, his fraternal twin brother grabbed me, put his hand on my waist, and asked me why I was being so difficult, suggesting that I should go talk to his brother. Before I could finish telling him to tell his brother to go to hell, my girlfriend who’d come to visit from San Diego grabbed my hand and dragged me away. We went to the ladies room and when we came out his brother was standing by the entrance/exit looking sort of nervous, like he wanted to finish our conversation, but me and the girls scurried out of there and didn’t look back. Trumpet guy was another of the really confusing experiences that I’ve had with men since being single again. He seemed really, REALLY into me, even going so far as blushing and kneeling in front of me as I sat, telling me that he's never "dated a girl as pretty" as me, staring and smiling as he watched me and my friend drive away, asking me to attend his next show, AND THEN singling me out in the crowd of women by saying into the microphone "YOU CAME!" and then hopping down off the stage to hug me and talk to me. But that same night he seemed to be juggling a few other women, he snuck out without saying 'goodbye' to me, and then when he called me at 3am that morning he left a voicemail about getting together at my house. That would've been our first official date had it occurred but I wasn't interested in hosting him in my home so soon so I politely declined. After that, he never returned my calls and the next time I saw him on the street he was giggling and pointing at me with his brother. Then I ran into him again at the Grammy Nominations party at L.A. Live and, despite me ignoring him and practically running to get away from him, I kept finding him standing next to me and he even showed up in the background of 3 of my pictures that night. What the fuck? I met him three years ago and I still don't get it. There's more but it's equally nuts and a long(er) post/story. In a nutshell, dude is an asshole.

No comments: