Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Tuesday's Musings - money, money, money

I’m all about wise money management and trying to learn as much as I can about making my money work for me. When I’m shopping, I calculate how many hours of work I’ll have to put in, in order to buy an item. If you read this blog every blue moon, you might recall the time I posted about my friend buying a pair of Jimmy Choo shoes and how I equated that to roughly the amount someone would spend on rent or a mortgage payment. I do this with many of the things I buy and try to stay within my budget, which is stored to memory and typed out in a simple excel spreadsheet on my computer at home. You don’t have to be a math wiz to be fiscally fit – I damn sure am not. All you need are basic math skills and a decent memory to stay on your game and keep your head above water and your overhead low. Part of my day-to-day budgeting consists of packing a lunch and a few afternoon snacks taken from my own kitchen. I’ve dwindled my debt considerably over the past 5 years (25g’s down to 6 in 5 years, then I fell off the wagon a few times. Otherwise I’d probably be debt free by now).

I’m highly focused on debt reduction because early retirement and working for myself are so very exciting to me. I’ve wanted to work for myself since grade school (as previously blogged). It’s just been a bit of a struggle letting go of my money woes and fears. I find myself worrying so much about potential “rainy days” and being able to make ends meet, that I sometimes can’t focus on developing a business plan. I tell myself that if I had financial security, I could focus on other things. It’s a never ending cycle. But it’s not completely lost on me that I’ll never make money if I’m constantly worried about it. I think I’m a little afraid of being completely responsible for my own well-being. Sounds nuts, I know. And I do recognize that working for someone else is an extremely false sense of security, and that I am more vulnerable as an employee than I would be if I was the boss. However, being a cog in the wheel doesn’t seem to be as much work as being in charge of the whole wheel. Or so I’d like to think since I’m sort of a yellow-belly J. Okay, I’m making excuses, but at least I recognize it! And I’m trying to convince myself to change with this blog entry, lol. Soon, I will be brave enough to face these irrational fears, get off my bum and do something extraordinary, or, at the very least, make myself proud. I’ve begun to draft my business plan. But until I am brave enough to take it from paper to reality, from dream to fruition… I will continue to build a safety net full of money in case I fail. I mean fall J

Being creative and in charge is definitely something that excites me.

It’s quite time for me to move on, though; find another love, find another way to earn a living, address what I believe is my calling, while improving my life and spirit and income. Success is part luck, part hard work. Wish me luck, por favor.

No comments: