Tuesday, October 27, 2009

the woman is the mule of the world (c) nanny

Actually, she said "So de white man throw down de load and tell de nigger man tuh pick it up. . . He hand it to his womenfolks. De n*gger woman is de mule uh de world so fur as Ah can see," to Janie, her granddaughter, in my favorite book "Their Eyes Were Watching God" by Zora Neale Hurston.
I feel like a mule right now too. My world is taunting me, my heart is singing the blues. Yesterday, during my lunch break, I got a call and was told that years of my hard work didn't pay off, and all my hope just went out the car window. I've invested so much and I'm so tired. Parenting is the toughest job in the world, I'm convinced.
So used to disappointment, I just need someone who truly understands but I don't know anyone who likely would. I'm getting better at coping.
I wish there was a way for me to skip to the back of the book and see how this story turns out.
Sorry this is so vague. I can't very well put all my business on the internet, you know.

2 comments:

trE said...

"One day, it'll all make sense."

I think this quote suits your feelings perfectly. Hang in there lady... Hang in there.

Me said...

What a difference a nap makes, tre. I woke up from my lunch time nap that day feeling refreshed and bubbly :)
As far as my offspring, I'm hopeful that yes, one day it will all make sense.