Monday, October 5, 2009

I broke out the crockpot the other day

...tossed some garlic and onions on the bottom, a cup of baby carrots, a cup of apple cider vinegar, then topped it all off with 5 seasoned, olive oil-coated chicken breasts. Within 5 hours that chicken was falling off the bone and the house was smelling delicious. My son and my guests said they enjoyed it but I wasn't all that pleased. You see, even though I cooked it in a pot full of spices and the chickens own juice, it still tasted kind of dry to me. And that's probably because all the juice - natural and added - was still in the pot and not really in the chicken anymore. When I've steamed chicken it was juicy as hell, all that was lost was some unwanted fat. But steamed chicken doesn't retain very much seasoning so I guess I'll have to choose between the two - the seasoning or the juice :( Or maybe I can figure out a way to keep both. We'll see. I haven't put away my crock pot yet.
Yesterday, my fam stopped by and we did a bit of fall cleaning and decorating. The yard looks fantastic (not finished decorating yet, though) and so does the house. All the leaves got raked up by mumsie, the boys mowed the front and back lawns, and my step dad trimmed the trees and bushes. I put out four tombstones, an artificial light-up jack o-lanter, a "Witches Crossing" sign, and a couple of scarecrows. Tonight I'll swap out my porch light with a black bulb and sometime this week I'll go buy a few real, colorful pumpkins (white and orange). Decorating on the inside of the house will mostly just consist of a few branches, pine cones and candles, maybe some fall leaves in the living room window.
I've also finally decided what I want to be for Halloween: an Indian chick, complete w/ mocassins and a papoose on my back. We'll see if I'm able to find all the stuff to make this costume, though.

2 comments:

rashad said...

I shall forward this to my lady..our crock pot still sits in the kitchen...lonely, unwanted, and unopened

Me said...

Maybe also send her that crockpot blog for inspiration. I've figured out why the chicken was dry - they were breasts, smh. i've cooked chicken legs in the "pot" before and they were super moist so i'm attributing the dryness to the cut of meat. i want to make some chicken and dumplings soon and some orange chicken (see the recipe on that blog if youre interested). can't wait!