Saturday, January 9, 2010

I miss my friend

I don't know what happened to us. We used to be so close we'd finish each others sentences. I wouldn't say we've grown apart; more like our lives have become uneven, if that makes sense. We don't have as much in common as we used to and, for some reason, she decided to disappear on her birthday this past June after briefly reappearing in my life. It sucks that as you get older your friends are nothing like they were when you were younger. That insane closeness, that initmacy is gone. I've shared some of my deepest feelings with her without fear. And maybe it was just me being young and romanticizing it as though we shared this Judy Blume-type friendship, because in hindsight she wasn't all that great of a friend, lol. But she listened...and she made me laugh and feel good about myself. And I knew that if no one in the world understood me, she did. Or she'd damn sure try, talking to me until she did. Somewhere along the way all that took a wrong turn and here we are today...estranged.

2 comments:

trE said...

I know all of this,

"because in hindsight she wasn't all that great of a friend, lol. But she listened...and she made me laugh and feel good about myself. And I knew that if no one in the world understood me, she did. Or she'd damn sure try, talking to me until she did. Somewhere along the way all that took a wrong turn and here we are today...estranged."

all too well. So much so, I got tired of being in that predicament. I can't lie though, I miss what my friend and I were as well... Strange things happen as we morph into older adults... It's weird, isn't it?

Me said...

strange indeed. i wish her all the best, of course. i just wish we could go back to the way things were once upon a time.