Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Ancestry.com

I'm working on a family tree with my son. We're listing names, dates of birth, dates of death, spouses, children, the whole nine, and it's been pretty exciting. Much more than I'd anticipated. However, of course, there are missing links that naturally make me sad, angry, curious about my family's past. I can only go as far back as my great grandparents on my mothers side (I suspect some of those before them were slaves, maybe. I know 1-2 were Native American and another was Dutch), and one of my great grandmothers on my fathers side. I do recall my dad telling me once before he passed away that his grandfather had worked at the Humble Steel mines and that's where we got our last name. Not sure whether that's true or not but I have no reason not to believe him. But then it makes me wonder, if this is true, whether he was working there voluntarily or forcefully, given the history of coal and steel mines at that time forcing thousands of black men to work under horrific, worst that slavery conditions to pay off bogus debt or for little pay. But I have no one to ask and it is bugging me a little bit. Now, on my mothers side my grandmothers sister is still alive, 80-something but still alive. Last I spoke to her she was very sharp but I've heard that her mind is deteriorating so I've got to move fast. She may be my last hope to learn of my family's past. Some of it, at least.
Anyway, ancestry.com is a great site and is chock full of information that I didn't already have handy (ie, dates of birth and death of my great grandmother). If you're sketchy on your history, or even if you think you aren't, I highly recommend you to put together a family tree for yourself, your kids, your family. You may be surprised what you learn. Plus, it's good to know where and who you come from ;)

No comments: