Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Mr. Sandman, bring me a dream

Make him the cutest that I've ever seen

Give him two lips like roses and clover

Then tell him that his lonesome nights are over.


Dear Lord,

I am patiently waiting for you to send me

Who is for me. I am becoming more and more disheartened and worried

And, who am I kidding? Frightened! L

That I may never know him

That I may not have a match anywhere in this big old world

http://prayerstoshare.net/request-60546/dear-lord-i-pray-for.html (this is how we pray today? (c) MC Hammer)

Why can’t I ever attract what I like? Why am I only attractive to those I’m not attracted to? Why is it so hard to find a match?

I’ve been watching the Golden Girls a lot lately on the Hallmark channel, laughing and smiling and then trying to imagine who’s going to live with me and my mother when I’m Dorothy’s age, unmarried and still trying to date. The “guy who’s wooing me” will be my Stanley Zbornack, if I’m lucky.

In this months Glamour magazine there’s a 45 year old woman pregnant by her 28 year old, handsome fiancĂ©. There’s a picture of them both smiling like two Cheshire cats, hand in hand, seemingly skipping down a red carpet in couture. Demi Moore is on the cover looking fabulous, as always, wearing hardly any makeup and that hair that I’ve always been willing to die for (not really but you know, it’s gorgeous). My initial thought was “why is Glamour trying to sell us wolf tickets!?!? 45 and 28?? PREGNANT!? Get the fuck out of here, Glamour!” and my next thought was, “I wish I was Demi Moore.” Have you seen Ashton Kutcher?? Hummina, hummina, that man is fine. And they've been married for 6 years. I read the magazine back to front and then sat it on my ottoman, a glossy symbol of hope to look at every day when I get home, lol. Then there’s Lisa Bonet and Halle Berry, both shacking up with two drop dead gorgeous men. I’m trying to decide what separates me from them, aside from the obvious - white or mixed with white, rich, famous…beautiful? To each his own, I guess. I’m not hideous, at least... I don’t think, lol. However, I have been known to be wrong once or twice. Anyway, how can I be down? What do I have to do to get like them? Believe it or not, I’ve been getting tips from the queens on RuPaul’s Drag Race. Who KNEW you could fashion a dress out of a half bra and a couple of yards of material?? And have you seen their make up and hair!? Wow, times 12. Those bitches are fierce and they’re not even real bitches.

Maybe it’s LA that’s killing my love life, as silly as that sounds. There are way too many beautiful women out here to choose from. Plus, this city is much too large to just bump into your soul mate all willy nilly. I never run into anyone I know and I know hundreds of people. I’m beginning to lose my cool. I’d like to think that with each awful date I go on there’s one less frog for me to kiss and I’m getting closer to my prince. But I’m so sick of frogs (blech). And time has never really been on a woman’s side. Particularly not a black woman’s.

It’s that time of month when I seriously need a cheesecake and a chick flick. I think I’ll watch Tequila Sunrise tonight for the billionth time.

And now, the Queen of Soul with "Say a little prayer":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STKkWj2WpWM

No comments: