Monday, February 16, 2009

I love when it rains

It feels like morning all day. The sun has laid lazily in the sky, dozing off and on behind the clouds for hours. Outside my front door everything is bright green except the soaked tree trunks and black mountains. Extra white, fluffy clouds encircling the San Gabriels make them look sort of like dessert and certainly make me hungry. My roof is dripping and so are my windowsills. I think I'll light a fire to complete the day, then curl up and read a good book or two, watch a movie, meditate and eat. I'm making homemade hash browns, scrambled eggs and french toast. That ought to wake my son up.
It's pajama's all day, in case you haven't guessed. I'll take a shower after this late breakfast and change into a fresh, new pair. I LOVE days like this. Especially when I'm home on them.
Yesterday I took Miles and Kai to the movies at the mall and then to dinner. Edna, Kai's mom stopped by on Saturday morning. I hadn't spoken to her in at least three years, since before middle school started when Kai and Miles attended the same school. I remember her always being too eager to drop him off somewhere. At anyone's house, it never seemed to matter. So yesterday morning she stopped by to ask me and Miles if we'd "noticed Kai buying a lot of things when he's around us." It turns out he's been stealing money from her, borrowing her debit card and going on little shopping spree's during school hours. He got busted coming out of a matinee a few weeks ago and he's charged something like $200 worth of stuff on her debit/credit card at Chipotle and Best Buy. She says he doesn't listen to her and she's at her wits end. Of course, I asked where his father was. She said he's full of excuses and they rarely ever see him. I hate hearing this - and I hear it a lot - but it also reminds me of how lucky my son is to have his father in his life. And how lucky I am that he cares enough to be.
Edna is coddling Kai. She's pretty much given up on him from the sounds of it, on parenting altogether. And when I offered to have him come over she was all too eager to dump him off, saying she'd forsake punishment for just one day, she just didn't "want to see his face."
:(

No comments: