Friday, February 20, 2009

Playing with balls

I want to play :) . It’s been YEARS since I've played volleyball but my coworker is luring me off the fence and I am seriously contemplating getting back into the gym with her and the other whipper-snappers in her vball class. I’m hoping everyone is vertically challenged like she is so I can murderize them on the court. My height may be my only advantage since I’ve crossed the big 3-oh, but we’ll see. I’m going to be her guest on the team in a couple of weeks. This should be very amusing. Like the time Hospital Yvette convinced us all to go play dodgeball in Hollywood. I won’t front, I had a GREAT time that night. It was probably the most fun I’d ever had playing any type of sport. There was just so much to take in! The movie had nothing on that night and those people. We played with the Stay Puft co-ed league http://dodgeball4ever.com/balls/. These folks take dodgeball very seriously. They rock the 80s headbands and little bitty gym shorts, the knee high socks and corny t-shirts. And they argue about plays, just like any other sport. My friend, who shall remain nameless to protect her pride and avoid potential embarrassment, was hit in the head rather hard with one of those red rubber balls and, naturally, she thought she was out. So she begins her trek over to the sidelines to wait for the game to end and lick her wounds, when this guy in a 70s pin-up girl t-shirt and little bitty gym shorts who looked remarkably like Justin Timberlake yells at her. "Fuck that! You're not out, dude! Did the ball hit your shoulder after it hit your head? Nah, fuck that, man! You're in, man! You're still in!" But she didn't want to be in, lol. And you could see it all over her confused face. Shortly after that I think she got hit in the thigh and THEN she was out, and relieved.
There were so many fabulous moments that night, like when I ended up being the last person left standing on my team. Out of nowhere there I was, standing alone at one end of the court, laughing my ass off while two guys lobbed balls at me with all of their might. Oh, yeah, big fun. I think I stayed in for about 3 minutes and then I caught one of their balls, which meant I could tag one of my teammates back into the game. I saved my team and then I was struck and had to go rest on the sidelines. It was all quite exhilirating and all this reminiscing is making me want to go play again. I would, but they want you to pay a sign up fee and um, I'm not that excited about playing. So I guess I'll always have the memories. Sorry you didn't get your trophy, ***** ;o)

No comments: