Sunday, April 5, 2009

Fixing up the chateau

My sexy, new refrigerator is here! Well, not HERE here but it's in store, ready for me to pick it up. I decided not to have it delivered for $70, but instead to reserve a $20 u-haul truck and pick it up myself. I have to pick up my manpower in an hour.
My fridge is gorgeous. LG calls it "titanium" but my only concern is that it's fingerprint proof and is 22 cu :). It also boasts a bottom-mounted freezer so now all of my cool viddles will be at eye-level. I'm so thrilled. Next step in the kitchen is painting the cabinets, putting in a back-splash behind the stove, installing a schnazzy new floor and eventually getting a new stove. I'm also thinking of opening up one of the cabinets by removing a door and having open shelving to create the illusion of space. It's so small in there so rather than spend a small fortune on renovating (I was initially toying with the idea of knocking out a wall and expanding the room), I'm just going to upgrade what I have and use color and a few tricks to make the space seem larger. I have no idea how long I'm going to live in this house yet, so I'm taking my time with the upgrades. It's only been 11 months and some change and I've done a lot as it is.
Yesterday, we did a heap of yard work and I can't stop peaking outside and smiling. A clean house - inside and out - gives you such a good feeling. The lawn and bushes look so neat. I put down some solar stake lights as well. Hopefully, they'll get enough sun today so that I can see them glowing tonight. I still want Japanese lanterns but I can't find large, solar powered ones that I like anywhere. I'm going to keep looking, though.
Next on the list of house to-do's: installing my chandelier, painting the borders of the dining room mirror, new crown molding, colorful adirondack chairs in the backyard, Japanese solar lanterns, creating a mirror/tv combo to go over the fireplace (I saw a really neat trick in a design magazine) and re-sanding the hardwood floor in the living and dining rooms. Some day, I'd like to have solar panels installed on the roof but that's much farther down the line since they cost upwards of 10g's and, like I said, I'm not sure how long I'll be here. For now, I'm plenty comfy and it feels great :)

No comments: